Our Personal Soundtrack …. Why We Really Mourn the loss of Music Makers!

Dearest you,

I can’t have a conversation with you without talking about the untimely passing of music artist Prince. First Bowie, then Glenn Frey of the Eagles, and now Prince!

Last week we lost another music icon, also deeply spiritual and a tireless humanitarian that influenced a generation. Although not everyone was into him (my husband being one) he was so much a part of my 20s I can’t think of those memories without referencing him.

Prince was like a ghost in my hips on the dance floor, my lips kissing a man, my mind exploding with inspiration and creating art, my youth rebelling, my soul longing for authenticity. Bowie did the same thing for me, and so did artists like Stevie Nicks, Joanie Mitchel, Billy Idol (yup I was a fan), Sting, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush etc.

All these artists touched me so personally for completely different and complex reasons.

I can listen to certain songs and remember smells and places long forgotten as the years went by and I evolved beyond who I was into who I became. Music reminds me of a deeply intimate human journey- my journey. I have my own personal play list- a soundtrack for the story of my life that could tell you so much about me and If you think about it you do too.

Your personal soundtrack can act as an important guide to the deepest, most vulnerable and yet most powerful places inside you that you might have forgotten.

Music is so personal in the way it touches us, moves us, calls us out of ourselves. Although many of us mourn when an icon like Prince dies, we do so not just for a time in our lives that we all shared when the music was woven inextricably into the backdrop of life, but for the intimate experience of knowing who we were, what we were feeling, and the sense that we were somehow so intimately witnessed because of it.

I saw a tweet on Twitter from someone I don’t know named Juliette say so eloquently “Thinking about how we mourn artists we’ve never met. We don’t cry because we knew them, we cry because they helped us know ourselves.”

I have an image of Prince and the Revolution in concert and me being alone amongst thousands of cheering people but I connected so personally to the performance, the lyrics and the unapologetic playful yet rebellious individuality- that it was as if everything was inside me and not on stage. Do you know what I mean?

I’d love to hear from you about how you remember and know yourself through music. Who were some of your favorite artists and why? How did they touch you? Could they express things about you deep down that you couldn’t?

What was the one song that tells a whole story about you- either the past or present? Or perhaps a memory that lingers that still means something to you today. How has music told your story back to you?

Music is more to all of us than we may recognize.

I know this personally because before I was the “me now” that you know, I was a professional singer songwriter- a career moved aside for a greater calling. But all things full circle I had a very strange but cool experience this weekend when I found out that Universal Music released all my music (2 albums worth) onto YouTube as videos so everyone can listen to them now.

Who knows maybe someone out there will listen and hear me tell their stories too.

Here’s the link to my songs on YouTube.

All my love
love colette 200x103

PS – If you have not signed up for my newsletter yet, join!

WEEKLY ORACLE CARD FORECAST

Showing 65 comments
  • Brenda

It was the spring 1990 , Wilson Phillips sang the song, Hold On. I felt they were singing to me only! The lyrics said out loud what I already knew but needed to hear them repeatedly. It took until mid summer to act upon my motivation and walk away from a marriage that wasn’t working. It was the best choice for me to become the strong person I am today. The song is still relevant in it’s message and I have it in my playlist as an awesome memory and reminder to not let your worries pass you by.

• Colette Baron-Reid

love that..

• Trish

Thank you for the post, well written. I, too, love all the artists you listed! Prince, and the song Purple Rain, holds an unique place in my life because it was the song playing during my first middle school dance. I remember the exact outfit I was wearing. Sadly I was too young to see Purple Rain at that time but years layer my friends and I saw him in concerts. WOW, Prince put on a show and we all felt like he was singing just to each of us individually. That’s what an artist does!

• Brenda

Hi Colette,
      Thankyou for this thought inspiring post. Music has always brought up the memories of ‘feelings’ the same as food or smells do. Music is almost like a rememberance of a time and place and the way I felt. So when artists pass on, it is like that memory of the feeling is somehow disrupted or jarred a bit. I’m sure we all recall a certain song, the beat, the words that seem to express exactly how we feel. It is as if the artist knows exactly how we think and suddenly we are not alone in the way we feel. There are many songs that bring back memories for me, some good and some challenging.

• Jo

Paul Kelly’s ‘to her door’ changed the course of my life and gave me the courage to say no to a marriage everyone but me wanted.

• Catherine

August 1988…one of my dearest friends had transitioned from Breast Cancer at 34 and had to leave her3 and 5 yr behind…we had met and became great friends when we were 12 and 13…Bette Midler…Wind Beneath my Wings…it was one of her favs and we played it at her funeral…I was shell shocked then, but now when I hear the song or play it, I always remember the fun we had. I miss her every day and still want to pick up the phone to tell her what is happening!! Love and Light!

• Renee Sugar

(Hard to choose just one) Josh Groban You’re Still You.

Through the darkness I can see your light
    And you will always shine
    And I can feel your heart in mine
    Your face I’ve memorized, I idolize just you

I look up to everything you are
    In my eyes you do no wrong
    I’ve loved you for so long
    And after all is said and done

You’re still you
    After all, you’re still you

You walk past me
    I can feel your pain
    Time changes everything
    One truth always stays the same

You’re still you
    After all, you’re still you

I look up to everything you are
    In my eyes you do no wrong
    And I believe in you
    Although you never asked me to

I will remember you
    And what life put you through
    And in this cruel and lonely world
    I found one love

You’re still you
    After all, you’re still you

• Shelley

Dear Colette
    I SO relate to this…I always, always have a song playing in my head, in the background. I live on music, it is as necessary to me as air, I think!
    One example of a song speaking to me: I was driving very early in the morning to speak at a conference on a panel, and I was slightly nervous. Listening to the radio, Stevie Wonder’s “I just called to say I love you” came on…it was newly released and I’d never heard it before. I felt that Spirit was speaking to me through the song. I often feel that I’ve received a message through the lines of a song. I share some of the same musical tastes you describe: Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks, Ellen McIllwaine, Joan Baez….and more…some recent faves are Angelique Kidjo, Tina Malia, Deva Premal etc.etc…I could go on and on.
    I love your music, too, Colette, and it definitely speaks to my soul. Thank you, musical blessings to you and to All.♥

• Lauren

Music is processed and stored by our brains in a way that is different from anything else. For reference, I did a paper on it back when I was doing my Masters and my friend is a Certified Music Therapist…just incase you think I am making this up (Music Therapists use music to heal clients from things as big as Stroke, PTSD, etc.). Brain science is and has grown in huge ways in the past 20 years and I suspect we will learn more in the coming years. To simplify this I will say that most information is processed/stored in one maybe two basic ways while music has FIVE with lots of crisscrossing and linking going on. Music just seems to have a special place for us as humans and the brain’s way of processing it is just more confirmation. Music is one of the only ways that humans tap into their creative part which for the most part, is shut down and ignored because of the business of life. Creativity is one of our main links to Spirit so no big surprise to find out how it is hardwired into us. So keep humming, singing, tapping, drumming….along to the music of your life 🙂

• Diana

There are a lot of songs that have touched me over the years. Lately, it’s been songs that have to do with breaking up or forgiving people. But my favorite that I found the most impacting on me was The Good Stuff by Kenny Chesney. That song puts everything in perspective.

• Kathy

Yes, music really moves the soul and brings back vivid memories. When I think of music and ‘where I was when’ my mind goes back to watching figure skating, school dances (“when a man loves a woman” & “summer of ’69” by Bryan Adams), playing the clarinet, tenor & alto saxophone in Junior High and High School, as well as a bit in university. It’s amazing how a few notes can put us right back at that time and place, like nothing has changed, with the sights, smells and sounds. My favourite music is Jazz, and the song “What A Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong, especially, as well as “The Man I Love” by Etta James. I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for the song Birdland, music by Mozart (only composer that had good clarinet music), Spring by Vivaldi, Frank Sinatra and many others. I saw Juliette’s tweet as well. It’s spot on.

• Mary Lyle

I have been very sad over Glenn Frey ‘ s death. I went to the same high school as him, although I am 16yrs younger than he. Looking on line at pictures and reading of the early years trying to make it in the industry really makes me admire his faith and belief in himself. I wasn’t aware that he and Bob Seger were good friends for 50 yrs. They always cheered each other on in their careers.

• Diana Boles

Being from Detroit and a teen in the ’60’s——my life without Motown wouldn’t be the same — but the there is “I’m 18” by Alice Cooper—we went to catholic grade school together ( I had a 2 year crush on Vince). Jimmie Hendrix— Janis Joplin & her version of Bobby McGee – Buffalo Springfield — The Doors— the Stones — The Who — CSNY —- Led Zepplin — James Gang — Bob Segar — Ted Nugent and all the Motor City Madmen—- but above them all — The Beatles. I still cry when I think of the John Lennon tragedyhave witnessed the passing of many members of my generation, my mothers generation, because the torch you Big Band Sound was the prelude to it all. Elvis— of course it doesn’t stop there. I am a rockin’ hippy chick biker that loves all music of all genre and it is daily in my life.
    Like you, Colette and all the tribe–just one note can bring it all back — even if it was just this morning. And Colette has made music that carries me now as well.

• Ali

Congratulations on having your albums released on YouTube! I’ll be listening to those shortly!

One of the hundreds of songs that spoke to me during my mis-spent youth would be Matthew Good’s “Hello Time Bomb.” I had a love that was “so bad… so bad” when it came out, along with the angst of trying to figure out the push and pull of how to make life work. Many tears were shed while listening to that song on full blast in my car… on the radio, of course… who could afford anything else? 🙂

Music with soulful lyrics is the cheapest therapy out there, and the most magnificent uniting force that humankind has ever wrought into existence. Just one woman’s opinion!

• Rolene

What a beautiful blog!! You paint such beautiful memories with your words.Bowie, Frey and Prince were the soundtrack to my youth and then my career – how privileged I was to produce a classic rock show on radio, bringing the music to the masses. So many songs resonate with me. Here is a glimpse. Home – Edward Sharpe and the magnetic zeroes – reminds me of my love and as soon as I heard it, I knew it referenced him and although we are not together right now, it sometimes plays in those least expected moments like a sign from the universe. Enjoy the silence – singing it on top of my voice with a friend of mine at camp. Many wished to enjoy the silence from our singing! Learning to fly – Pink Floyd – the song that launched a radio station I was involved in. Rooms on Fire – Stevie Nicks “there is magic all around you, if I do say so myself, I have known this much longer that I’ve known you”. Before I met the man who became my love, his name name was on an itinerary for the trip that would bring us together. The paper vibrated and I did not know why until I met him. Something tells me we will find our way back to each other…..

This stunning song reminds me of coming home to live in Israel and is by The Idan Raichel Project – a national treasure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exx1k9Acm2Q

Thank you Colette for sharing your memories and creating a space to share ours. You are truly an inspiration to be grateful for every day.

• Colette Baron-Reid

i have such interesting people here !!! Thank you for sharing this and of course to everyone else too that I didn’t comment on 😉

• Brittney Arena

Home AND Learning To Fly – Both very important tracks for myself <3

• jane

I to am 57 i can’t believe how i’v been crying on and off about Prince i had no idea i felt anything for him ,it’s all my memories of growing up dancing and having fun,i think it’s my life he took with him he took my memories with him and i can’t get them back ,i loved him and didn’t know it, such a beautiful man he had so much talent to young to die ,i love you Prince

• Dave

Not to detract from the music, but we would miss you and your wisdom, beauty, and charisma.
    Stay well. Keep writing, singing, teaching.
    And ……..Thank you!
    You are, right now, the inspirational soundtrack of our lives.

• Ollieb

There are so many songs that are reminders of fun, love found, love lost, and holding on to make it through another day. I am particularly fond of music from, Andrew Lloyd Weber’s, phantom of the opera. My favorite being, That’s All I Ask of You. And for a full out, dancing around my house, singing out strong is Bonnie Taylor’s TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART.
    Thanks for the reading this week. It’s all good. ?

• Lori

I am not sure anyone will believe me because this is “spirit weird” as opposed to your everyday “well that was weird” weird; I’ll start at the beginning, in my early twenties I was in a relationship with a wonderful man, we loved each other completely but he was an alcoholic and a manic depressive and in the end I walked away because I couldn’t watch him destroying himself and watching him destroying himself was destroying me. I never stopped loving him and I don’t think I ever will. Fast forward 6 years and one Sunday I am sitting in the bathroom of the house I shared with my then partner crying painful tears because I miss my former partner so much, I decided to visit him just to see how he was doing but first I would lose a bit of weight. On the Tuesday of that week my paternal Grandmother died and on the Friday my ex died, I got the call on the Saturday Morning, they were both to be buried on the same day so I couldn’t even go to his funeral, I couldn’t say goodbye.
    When he and I were together he loved Paul Weller and in particular The Jam, a group fronted by Weller in the eighties, I was too young to be into music when the Jam were at their zenith. He had always asked me to play “Going Underground” by the group at his funeral, it was natural to discuss funeral plans we wanted to be together forever after all, I agreed but secretly thought I would never put his family through that. So the Friday after he died I waited until my then partner was safely at work and prepared a little ceremony , lit some candles, said a prayer or two and when onto the PC to play “Going Underground” as promised. I had the song on my hard drive but it refused to play and kept playing some other song I had never heard and knew I didn’t own frustrated I went on youtube and searched for going underground I clicked the link and that strange song began to play again, so I listened then found his song. I searched the lyrics of the strange song to find out what it was called; “Happy Together Now” it was also by the Jam, it wasn’t a popular one, I had never heard of it but certain lines of the song struck my heart and let me know he was talking to me through spirit in particular there is a line about “I am an angel waiting to get me wings” and the theme of the song is how we would be together forever now. That song that I didn’t know and haven’t listened to since provided me with absolute proof he was still with me. Oh and following that day “Going Underground” on my hard drive returned to normal functioning in fact I still have the same copy on this hard drive. Spirit speaks to us all through music and music often expresses what we feel but can’t or wont acknowledge. Several times since my partner died when I have been in trouble or just been deeply troubled Paul Weller or The Jam are played in the weirdest places at the strangest and I know it’s just him letting me know I will be alright, he has my back.

• Colette Baron-Reid

well this is definitely not weird to me or anyone else that comes here! Thanx for sharing

• Barb Parcells

I was much more into Bowie when I was younger and felt his passing more deeply. I am also a Stevie Nicks fan and my favorite song, then and especially now, is “Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow.” If we stop thinking about tomorrow and the infinite possibilities that are out there, we stay stuck in the past. I loved the music of my youth, but now that I am in my 60’s, I am creating a new soundtrack for what I call my Third Age, a soundtrack that inspires me, fills me with energy and motivation, and feeds my spirit. I even wrote an ebook about it, a rallying cry for Boomer women called: Song Of An Extraordinary Life: Creating A New Soundtrack For Our Third Age. The music will always live on and even, as we get older, take on new meaning.

• Colette Baron-Reid

oooh Barb that sounds so cool congratulations on the book. Bowie and Stevie Nicks for me too… especially Stevie

• Safena

Colette you have just articulated so beautifully our relationship with music. We do have personal soundtracks. I went thru a traumatic situation and I linked one song to that event. Over thirty years later I was leaving a therapist office where I finally talked about it for the first time. I was in my car feeling like something profound happened in that office with this angel and out of nowhere the song started playing. My car radio was not on, there wasn’t another car in sight, all the buildings were far off in the distance. If songs don’t have power why would the universe play that back to me at that most significant time. Amazing!!! Thank you for your powerful words and reminding me of that miracle.

• Juane

August, 1990–Sitting in my hotel room watching TV when President Bush comes on announcing the beginning of the Cold War. Needless to say, I was in no mood to join business associates for dinner. But what transpired at dinner lives on in my heart forever. The restaurant was filled with an international clientele (guessing 5-6 different countries represented). When the violinists started playing Let There Be Peace On Earth and let it begin with me, everyone in the restaurant joined hands. The universal language of music touches hearts in magical and miraculous ways.

• Anonymous

Juane,

Let There Be Peace on Earth was part of the songs my confirmation class sang back in 1974. I did not realize how old it was. Once in a while I sincerely use the phrase – it is worth remembering and spreading the concept. All begins with one sharing with others hence be careful what we share.

P : ) ACE Blessings with all my Heart!
      LOV : )

• Al

Aloha Colette,

Mahalo for your words, thoughts, & wisdom, as millions of us mourn the loss of Prince, & Bowie, & many others that passed this year…. Like their songs, their music, taking us back to emotions of our past, so too does your words of wisdom…..

I listen to music, all day, every day. I wake up and turn on Pandora in the morning, & turn it off when I go to bed. I can not seem to work, without music entwined in the background. It is so important to me, to my life, and to the life of millions of others. I can not imagine my life without music being a part of it.

This week I have watched so many different Prince moments on YouTube, which I never saw or heard before. He rocked it with so many different musicians, and so many different styles of music. I saw depth in Prince this week that I never knew he had. And now the stories come out about how many people Prince helped, that we never knew about….. Amazing…….

And just as the thousands of hours of music have aided my life in the good times & the bad times, words too can do the same thing. I’ve played Wayne Dyer CDs over & over & over, because I wanted his words, his wisdom to submerge with my subconscious. In the times when I needed healing the most, Wayne’s words, his voice, his whit, wisdom & humor resonated with me. And yes I mourned his passing too.

Colette, this year a lovely lady came into my life & touched my heart very deeply. And as quickly as she came into my life, and touched my heart with passion & love, she left. And during the period of deep pain, sarrow, and heartbreak, I found your Wisdom of the Oracle cards. Which lead me to your website, newsletters, Facebook, & blogs. And as I was mourning the loss of love, your words, like Wayne’s, were there, resonating, and helping see the light at the end of the tunnel. Mahalo, mahalo, mahalo, for your words of wisdom, insight, & intuition, have helped me recently, like the words of Wayne Dyer, Napolen Hill, & the music of Prince, Bowie, Lennon, and many many more who are still present with us today.

Bless you, Divine Being of Light, Love, & Joy!!!!! For I know you have helped many many more people, just like me. Congratulations on your music making YouTube. I will be sure to tune into your music soon….

Much Love & Aloha, Al

• Laura

Music like prayer weaves the fabric of our lives. An artist comes along an puts into words what you had in your soul but couldn’t identify until you heard the lyric. In morning the loss of Glenn Frey of the Eagles especially -the Eagles “Wasted Time” has been the sound track of my life.

• Patricia Stevens

My recent experience with music twists the theme here a bit, but it is an example of the power of music. I was sitting beside my mother with her fellow assisted living residents enjoying the singing duo who performs for them on a regular basis. They invited requests and upon receiving none, the male vocalist said, “We’ll sing this one for Blanche (my mom); I know it is her favorite. Born to Lose.” I watched my mom’s head droop as she tried to hide glistening eyes. I didn’t know that was her theme song. My heart broke as I listened to the words. I knew the words were a reflection of how she feels about her entire life. In the next few days, I listened intently to Ray Charles’ youtube version, and I felt for her; I felt the pain in her very bone marrow. I have been somewhat frustrated and impatient with her refusal to accept any kind of healing. It was revealed to me by her reaction to the song and by my feeling into the words, that she truly is doing “the best she can” to keep putting one foot in front of the other as she walks through a life from which she only wants to escape. Feeling that with her has helped me to give her a wider berth, to be more compassionate and accepting of her methods of survival. The music taught me.

• Colette Baron-Reid

this made me cry.. thank you for sharing Blanche’s story and yours.. my mom was like that too …

• Jen

such a brave post ?

• Yvonne Darrow

It really is amazing how a song can instantly transport us back to where and who we were when the song was on the radio. Justin Hawyward’s Forever Autumn was on the radio the November my first boyfriend dumped me. It was devastating then but hearing it now gives me such a sweet, innocent, melancholy feeling. I couldn’t have asked for a more appropriate soundtrack for my first broken heart.

Each week I look forward to your blog and card reading. I usually have to listen to the reading twice because the adorable little dogs grab my attention and I miss what you are saying!

I’m heading over to YouTube now to find your music. You mentioned a link but I don’t see it. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Much love.

• Colette Baron-Reid

if you go to my YouTube channel you will them all there we uploaded them once Universal music made them available

• Maura

“Elsewhere” by Sarah Mclachlan “I love the time in between, the calm inside me…….I believe this is heaven to no one else but me….to linger in silence” This song still defines me, even though its been years since I first heard it. To me, its about the calm in the center of us that is always available no matter what is going on around us – that place in our innerverse where we connect to the Divine.

• Kat

I will always connect with Joni Mitchell’s song, Woman of Heart and Mind and Paul McCartney’s song, Maybe I’m Amazed.

• Susanne

Thank you so much for your lovely words and inspiration, dear Colette!

I have always adored Prince! I went to every one of his many Hamburg concerts. Though those weren’t concerts, they were full blown parties: Loud, colorful, wild and beautiful, hosted by the musical genius himself, who was obviously enjoying his parties with every fibre of his being.

I have always felt so inspired by his joy, his talent and his love for music. It must be wonderful to be able to give so much to people.
    Thank you with all of my heart, Prince. I hope you dance.

• Colette Baron-Reid

Thank you to everyone who has posted in our weekly conversation. I love hearing from all of you. Each one of you has added something valuable and I send each and every one of you a GIANT hug!!

• Pauline

My first memory of music was when I was three or four years old. That time in my life was the happiest. At that time I had only two brother and I was the oldest. I had more attention from my Mother. before we had a TV, we listened to the radio. It was 1954. We would listen to rock and roll . Also a friend of my mother had one of the first TV sets.Every Saturday her two boys would take me to their house to watch Cartoons and a a Hit Parade music show. Then when I saw Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show I was in love. I was only eight but I had the biggest crush. From that day music has become a very important part of my life. Love to dance and have some wonderful memories of the music through the years. I have come to enjoy all kinds of music and it molded me into a big Romantic. When I hear certain music I am transported to far away places and times. Music encouraged me to be brave, strong and most of all to have an open mind.Being a very spiritual person, it brought back memories of past lives. When I hear music from Italy and Japan, and the Vancouver Island BC It stirs very strong emotions and far away memories of my past lives. This has enriched my life and my soul.Music reminds me of people who have pasted over and that they are still with me. thank you for being just you …Pauline

• Sharon

The one song that touches me deeply is “My Wish” by Rascal Flatts. It came out right after my mother passed away and when I first heard it, I could hear her voice singing the lyrics to me; a conversation that she would have with me. I now sing that song to my daughter, and she sings it to her kids. I don’t hear it very often, but when I do I know it’s a sign from Heaven for me…and it always makes me cry. Music is my savior and escape with this crazy world we live in today. Colette, please keep singing as we all need it. Blessings.

• Kim

There are way too many songs to list. Honestly, I would probably forget to name a few. Over my life when I hear a song that takes me back in time, I lovingly acknowledge it is love notes to my soul. It it a special reminder of where I once was, and where I am today. That was a such an important time in my life and I would not be who I am today without each and every single note.

• Carmen

Collette
    You are exactly right, the music says what we feel inside. You made me think about two songs I loved back in high school (my personal themes then). Both of them are from Triumph- Magic Power and Fight the Good Fight. I had to stop and listen to them again just now. It amazes me how they actually applied to my whole life up to now. Thank you for being you and guiding us all to a better place.

• Miranda

Since Prince’s death I have been looking for that phrase, but not found it – ‘Personal soundtrack’ – although I might add, ‘of our soul’ – but maybe the intent was there already.

I lived and breathed his music since I was 14 to the present day, some 32 years. It’s like a part of me has come to a dead stop, and I am stumbling over that part, trying to regroup and understand how to ‘rejig’ it so it still works. At present I am treating it with extra doses of Prince’s music! 😉

I love how you captured this so perfectly in this post. Thank you.

• Christy

Yes! Yes! Yes! When Kurt Cobain died in 1994 I watched on the news as hundreds of fans gathered and cried and held remembrances. I didn’t understand it at the time. Why were they so upset about a stranger. And then Layne Staley, the lead singer of Alice in Chains died. It all made sense. I cried for weeks. During the hardest time of my life, that music was one of the biggest reasons I’m still here. Sometimes, when you feel very alone, and can’t really connect to those around you, music can make you feel connected and understood. Someone else felt this way and they made it through. We connect so deeply with all of our senses around music. And then there are those like Price, Bowie, Freddie Mercury, etc that do something even more. They show us that spark of the divine. Unbridled creativity and how to fully live. They show us what we can be if we allow ourselves to be fully ourselves. I am forever grateful to them.

• Vicki Lynn King

I loved “The Heart Of The Matter” by Don Henley. I was going through a rough time with my family and it really touched my heart …

“But I think it’s about forgiveness
    Forgiveness
    Even if, even if you don’t love me anymore”

• Cora Flora

Wow… I am touched by the beaut and depth of this. Music and musicians have influenced me sooooo deeply. It’s such amazing medicine to receive someone’s unique inspiration and authentic vibe through what they do… Music is such an alive, resonant, powerfully energetic medium!

I love your vibe and am excited to feel more of your magical, wise, and fun energy flowing through your music!! ? It’s your soul in motion…

Giving thanks for all the musicians and spiritual teachers who have deeply touched and inspired me… Including you Colette! ✨???✨

• Yemaya

There was a show that featured Tracey Ullmann, if I remember right, she played the character of someone’s conscience and insisted this person have a personal soundtrack…or power song…or something like that. Does anyone remember this show?

• elaine

Colette thank you so much for letting me wistfully travel through the past 67 years as I remember the music of my life … what a feeling … I cannot imagine a world without music. To pick one song—impossible !!

Singing Kitty Wells when a little girl, hearing my first pop song – Doris Day ‘s It Was An Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini and Que Sera Sera, my first romantic song Al Di La with Suzanne Pleshette in Roman Holiday I think it was, Burton Cummings and the Guess Who and their first record — a tribute to Buddy Holly (I can still see the 45 sitting on the wall in the record store), discovering Elvis in 1963 and loving him forever, getting Beatlemania (it was like a temporary insanity as I sobbed and screamed at age 14), all the folk rock of the 1960s, a combo of my fave music genres, that makes me feel blessed to have lived in that glorious era if only for the music.

Ah the British Invasion as we climbed The Stairway to Heaven, an intro to the weed with Uriah Heep and July Morning – felt like the band was inside me and I thought I would explode with love for the song, Ferry Across The Mersey, Little Children, To Sir With Love, Downtown, all of Dusty Springfield, DC5 Glad All Over and Bits and Pieces, A World Without Love, and so much much more.

Bette Midler in The Rose, beautiful and heartbreaking and Barbra Streissand and Kris Kristofferson Star is Born 8-track (had to buy a second; wore out the first), Joan Baez’ Diamonds and Rust still makes my skin get JLo ‘goosies’ and, yes, Stevie, beautiful Stevie whom I have loved since the 1970s, my heroine, who I would want to be if I could be. All Fleetwood Mac always.

I had all of Johnny Rivers’ albums. I can still sing The Turtles’ Happy Together and think of that first boyfriend and his car and that field the summer of ’66. I can only be happy to have been part of the music that played as we hitchhiked, put flowers in our hair and went to San Fran, lived in communes, danced at Woodstock and other festivals, and protested for peace.

In 1987 I was blown away by U2’s Joshua Tree album the minute the bell-like sounds drifted from my car stereo and Rattle and Hum and the movie was as tingly amazing to me as gorgeous Irish Bono.

I remember where I was on December 8, 1980 when we heard the news of John Lennon or June 25 when Michael left for The Other Side or April 21 when our Queen turned 90 and Niagara Falls went purple for eerily her b.day and for the passing of a Prince. And the saddest day of my life, August 16, 1977, when Elvis left the building only to return to me in a dream that Christmas Eve 1977 when I walked up white stairs to talk with him … Christmas Day was reflective and sad as I wanted to stay with him up there in Heaven.

I saw Elvis perform in Vegas in 1970/72/74, got a kiss in ’72 (best day of my life) and a stuffed hound dog in ’74 – he was magnificent, stunningly beautiful, jaw-dropping musically, loving and loved. Finally saw Stevie / FMac May 17, 2014, the light of my life and OMG. Rooms On Fire album perfection and dreamy and Stevie in her red velvet dress unforgettable … and Sara I would sing to on headphones while being laughed at but I didn’t care, I was in Heaven.

So nice to share with others — reading Anne Murray’s autobiography and a mention of Frank Ifield’s I Remember You — I thought only I heard that song my ear pressed to the old kitchen radio ecstatic to find a Chicago radio station ahead of Canadian stations. This year our own Canadian Johnny Reid – what a gifted, generous man, so loving, such a sweet musical night.

Two out of the three men in my life have a resemblance to Elvis and my own brother does as well, rock guitarist/audio engineer that he is … a common thread that I know God placed in my life. I saw Noel Gallagher from Oasis on the ‘q’ TV show and he felt all songs had already been written and he was simply fortunate to pluck them out of the air … how neat is that?!

I look forward to listening to your music on YouTube. Today the Reiki Zen meditation music takes me to medieval times as though I had been there in a past life. Oh I love music so much (and you are one of my heroines as well,Colette … there is definitely a tribal connection for me, if only in your audience!!).

Thank you so much for filling my scattering, rambling heart and mind and spirit with joy as the very thought of the great music of our times runs through my head. Before I sign off, I have to tell you that my much-younger-than-me hygienist and her hubby have gone to over 100 concerts, imagine, now that is a music lover! For me music is locked in with memories in the windmills of my mind … if only we could put time in a bottle … keep singing dear Colette and LLAP, love, elaine

• Diego

Upfront I’d like to apologize for the grammar and or spelling mistakes I most likely will make as English isn’t my native language.

The moment you talked about music and how they influence our own lives I was sitting here shaking my head up and down. Music has always been a part of my life and although I did some songwriting myself in my early teenager-years, I kinda lost that specific connection with music for a long time. Yes it was still in my life and yes it was important but not on the level it was back then and how it became important again on the same level again, when a dear friend of mine sent me a song on Spotify on January the 27th of 2015.
    She send it to me as a ‘gift’ for me and said that it reminded her of me. Although I knew the singer I never listened very carefully to her songs until that day. The song she sent me was “Family Portrait” from P!nk. As I was listening to it I completely broke down and it was like she was not singing about her own life but mine. I immediately understood why it reminded my friend of me. That day changed my life, that ‘gift’ changed my life, because when I started to listen to more specific songs and dug into P!nk’s personal life I found out the many things we have in common, born on the exact same date and year, both left-handed, partly had the same kind of childhood and so on. And that same friend jokingly said that we could have been twins, apart from the fact that I have a colored skin and she doesn’t, but it did create the name ‘P1nkbroth3r’ and I use for practically everything you need a username for and created a gamer tag myself using that name and a sentence of one of the lyrics of the song “trouble” made a picture of it and use that on many places as my profile photo.
    I’m currently being a DJ for a national, small, internet radiostation in my spare time, although there are weeks I play for like 20 to 24 hours, since January of this year. Starting with my opening song and closing of too, with P!nk. I started to play keyboard, instead of piano like I did in my youth, again just to try and teach myself how to play as many P!nk songs as I possibly can. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll start writing songs again who knows. I listen to my playlist on Spotify at least 3 or 4 days a week, when I need a moment to myself, or when I need inspiration to try to write another chapter for one of my online stories, and a couple days back I used it to calm down and relax to do my first reading with the Enchanted Map Oracle cards.
    Conclusion: while the song ” Family Portrait” sent to me as a gift turned my life upside down, it also started a new path in my life. True, I have a long way to go to get where I want to be, however, the sun has started to shine again where there used to be only rainy days for many years. Long story short, music is back into my life, more important and frequently, than it has ever been.

• DME

Wow! What an awesome post, Colette. Thank you! I feel like I can really give myself permission now to own the grief I’ve had over the loss of David Bowie.

I fell in love with Bowie as a 13-year old back in the late 1970s.

I was originally from the NYC area and had moved to upstate NY because my parents feared the changes that were occuring in the city projects we were living in. Crime was getting worse there. During that summer before I would turn 14, I had returned to the city area to stay with my best friend and her family. It was then I met Ziggy Stardust via one of her albums. It was a quick hop on the 5 train and down to the East Village, a stop in the then punk boutique, Manic Panic, and next door to the hair salon.

Before you know it, my lovely shoulder length hair was…well…it was SUPPOSED to look like Ziggy Stardust. Unfortunately, the hair dresser was a little tipsy, I was too shy (and still terribly introverted) to say something and came out of there with a pixie cut that sent my upstate “friends” into their own type of MANIC PANIC!!! In fact, I lost a lot of friends upstate over that hair cut. HOWEVER, I began breaking out of the shell that I kept myself safely hidden in. It’s been an amazing ride ever since.

For years, “Life on Mars” was my very fave. As I’ve gotten older, “Thursday’s Child” seems most appropriate.

Much love and gratitude for this post!

Blessings!

• Suzy

I saved your blog not knowing why until today,Sunday. What a blessing.
    All of the comments pouring out of souls’ memories touched me. Really deeply. What a wonderful opportunity to think and dream without work looking over my shoulder.
    Thank you Colette for bringing us together.

• Suzy

I just did my oracle card reading. It was Milk and Honey, a leg up, and timeless. Wow. Love it. Yes I feel more grounded, less knotted, accepting and giving help.
    I have felt for about ten years that my experience is one little square on an eternal map. The Spirit is that eternal map so sees my past, present, and future. I believe that is why whenever and wherever I step will take me into a place of grace.
    Thanks again for allowing me to articulate this thought. Like co-journaling!
    Suzy

• DLLGRJandfurballs

Whoops there it is ….. LOL!

Silly maybe but words get in the way sometimes – at least for me in the beginning.
    I feel forced to conform when words are associated with music.
    Therefore, I preferred instrumental music to contemporary songs.
    I cannot name a song because I might know of Prince and sing his songs but I really
    do not follow popular music as others do and I won’t just pick one since many tell
    the tales of life that I have experienced or found remedy to ills for … makes sense?

In general it is vibration that heals us, is it not?

I did pick up a guitar but I did not have the strength to really play yet it remains my fave instrument.
    I also like the flute and piano.

Have teacher can learn, LOL : )

Healing Blessings