Counting Down to the New Year…The “Woo” Way!!
No matter where you are in the world, one of the most iconic events is counting down New Year’s Eve as the ball drops on Times Square or a series of breathtaking fireworks explode from barges in the Sydney Harbour or Singaporeans dance the last hours of the year away at the Siloso Beach Party. But chances are, for most of the world, New Year’s Eve (like everything else about 2020!) is gonna look a little (okay, a lot!) different.
Never fear, my friends!
Pandemic or no, we can count down to the New Year in style.
Join me for a seven-part “Woo” Year celebration!
SEVEN: 7 Ways to Cleanse Your Space
Nothing says, “New Year, New Woo” like cleaning out the old to make room for the new. Follow these steps to release energy, let go of the old, and C-L-E-A-N-S-E your physical and energetic space.
C – Crystals. Crystals have been used throughout history as sources of healing. Each crystal has its own energy, and each comes bearing its own message. For clearing, try amber, which can help release karma and heal family patterns; citrine, which is wonderful for letting go of negativity, and fluorite, which is effective for clarity and focus.
L – Light. With days much shorter in the Northern Hemisphere, some of us have to be intentional about getting our dose of the Sun. When you’re at home, open up those shades and let that natural light in, or go for a walk when the sun is shining( even if you have to bundle up as we do here in Ontario)!
E – Essential Oils. Use essential oils on diffusers! You’ll love the aroma in your home, and high-quality oils can assist in resetting your mood, lifting your energy, and even combatting germs.
A – Ambient Sounds. The sounds you surround yourself with can help create a sense of calm and wellbeing. Create sounds by ringing a bell, or a crystal singing bowl, or listening to my guided meditations on YouTube! By flooding your environment with positive sound waves, you’ll disturb the stagnant energy.
N – Nice & Neat. Physical clutter is trapped energy. Clear away stacks of papers, wipe down surfaces, and let go of the old. When you clean up, declutter and reorganize, you’ll unleash energy and usher in the new. S – Salt Scrub. While you’re cleaning away the old, don’t forget about detoxifying yourself! This DIY Himalayan Salt Scrub recipe is one of my favorites. Not only does it work wonders on dry, rough skin, it also helps detoxify your body through increased blood flow and exfoliation. You can use it for your hands, feet, and whole body:
- Fill a glass pickling jar two-thirds full with medium-grind Pink Himalayan salt.
- Then fill one-third of the jar with good-quality Apricot Kernel Oil, Jojoba Oil, or coconut oil (readily available at health food stores. DO NOT use baby oil or any oils that are pre-scented).
- Add 15 drops of sweet orange pure aromatherapy oil
- Add 20 drops of eucalyptus aromatherapy oil
- Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- Add 3 drops of Ylang Ylang
- Mix thoroughly and store in a tightly sealed jar.
- Use in the shower and make sure to rinse thoroughly and avoid your eyes and other sensitive areas!
E – Energy. Clear your mental and emotional energy from this year so you’re ready for a fresh start in 2021. You can meditate (try my guided meditation, “Get on Your Bird,” which is available for free here!). Journal through your 2020 (see below for journaling prompts). Or write yourself a letter to open up on New Year’s Eve 2021 — fill it with your intentions for the coming 12 months!
SIX: 6 Journaling Prompts
Journaling is one of the most powerful and effective ways I know to clear my mind and release any pent-up emotions or energy. Here are a few (SIX, to be exact) journaling prompts to get you started in clearing the air for 2021:
- What’s something positive that you learned about yourself this year that you’d previously overlooked?
- What are you grateful for? Why?
- In what ways did you allow creative self-expression this year?
- What are you currently feeling inspired to do, create, or focus on in 2021?
- What are the ideal changes you’d like to make or goals you’d like to reach in the next year?
- How did Spirit lead you in 2020?
FIVE: 5 Ways to Connect with the Universe
A perennial intention for me is to go deeper in my connection with the Universe. Even after decades of this work, there are always new levels to explore! As I grow, I let go of my attachment to my desires and my little ego-driven perspectives. Here’s how you can A-L-I-G-N with Spirit:
A – Appreciation. Everything begins with gratitude. No matter what is going on in our external world, there is something we can express gratitude for. A grateful heart is one that is open and ready to receive. Don’t know where to start? Start with YOU. Journal about the qualities you appreciate about YOURSELF! (This may be very hard for some of you… take it slow, and write about yourself like your favorite aunt or best friend or beloved fur child would.)
L – Live the life you want. So much of what I teach is learning how to listen to the spark of Divine that resides in each of us! You already know what you want and need; you’ve just gotten out of practice at listening to your soul! Being your true, authentic self is the best way to hear the messages the Universe has for you. (Hint: Oracle Cards are a wonderful way to tap into that “Soul-GPS” I talk about so much!)
I – Immerse yourself with the things you enjoy. For some reason, we’re taught that doing what we love is selfish or that we can’t ever be rewarded for it. “Work” only counts if we hate it! It’s time to kick that belief to the curb. Know something you LOVE to do, but haven’t had the time to do it? Make that time! Do what makes you HAPPY. (I know, I know — you’re out of practice! Start small. Light a candle you adore. Buy yourself flowers. Use the good plates for dinner even if it’s just you! You’re worth it!)
G – Gratitude. Journal about what you’re grateful for. Make a list of the people you love and love you, the lessons you’re learning, the teachers who’ve appeared in your life, the books that speak to your heart… nothing is too small to notice, and to honor!
N – Never be afraid to forgive someone. Nelson Mandela said, “When a deep injury is done to us, we never heal until we forgive.” If we want to heal, we must lay down the burden of a hardened heart. For years I carried the trauma of sexual violence with me, until I realized it was keeping me bound to those who hurt me, and I couldn’t heal as long as I was attached to them. Forgiveness is the key to a happy life. It doesn’t mean what someone did to you was okay, it means you want to heal more than you want revenge or punishment.
FOUR: 4 Ways to Release for the Full Moon
With the full moon coming right near the end of the month on Dec. 29, it’s a wonderful time to release anything that’s holding you back as you enter the New Moon cycle and the New Year almost simultaneously! Here are four ways to release anything that’s got you stuck or that is weighing you down:
- Listen to the Removing Blocks Meditation to remove blocks to your personal connection to Spirit.
- Bless everything you know you need to release. Say “Thank You” for what you learned from its dark harvest. There are lessons even in the shadows!
- Write them all down. Don’t try to push them away or ignore them. Instead, recognize them, honor them, find the gift they offered you, then let them go… sometimes the physical ritual of writing them on paper and then burning them, or shredding them, or crumpling them into a ball and throwing them away can help you release them.
- If you have particularly stubborn areas for something you just refuse to let go of, write it down on a small piece of paper then soak it in water and freeze it.
THREE: 3-Card Spread for the New Year
I love three-card spreads, and the Balanced Spread is a very suitable one for starting something new.
The cards are arranged almost like a flower, with their short ends forming a triangle. All cards share a common point of connection, so the relationship between them is so clear!
Card #1 can reflect your physical environment and the influence it has on you, Card #2 can represent your emotional state and how you feel and Card #3 can represent your spiritual state or reflects your relationship to the Conscious Universe. Remember, each card is connected to and informs the others!
TWO: 2 Tips to Find Your Spiritual Path
Right now, we are all individually and collectively in a period of transition. The old is falling away, and that can make us uneasy and anxious. But know that Spirit is always supporting your greatest good.
Here are two ways to find guidance when you’re feeling a bit scattered:
- Listen to your intuition. If you’re feeling something, trust yourself. Name what you’re feeling. Pay attention. Don’t brush off weird intuitive “hits.” Honor your intuition, and it will honor you!
- Practice presence of mind to stay grounded and aligned with the Universe. It can be intimidating to try to adopt new ways of thinking or being, which is why I recommend looking just at the 24 hours ahead (if that’s too much, aim for a minute at a time!). Take life one step at a time!
ONE: Watch this 1 Video!
Hey! Want a step-by-step guided walkthrough of the process I use to create my vision boards? You’re in luck! Join me for this free event Jan. 18th-24th, 2021:
Colette Baron-Reid’s Vision Board Challenge: 7 Days to Create Your Most Inspired Vision for 2021
Click here to reserve your free spot!